Friday, March 15, 2013

Whipped Shea Body Butter Concoction

So those of you that know me well, know I suffer from skin issues. Excema that is triggered by allergies. I found one cause of my allergies, cats. So the kitty found a new home and since then my skin has been better but not perfect. Winters here in the Midwest don't really help skin issues. A few months ago I started using coconut oil on my skin and it has worked wonders. Regular lotion makes my skin burn which isn't a good sign. So I switched to coconut oil. It took a week or two to actually start working and not make me feel oily. I also hated scraping it out of the jar with my fingernails in the wintertime and if I thawed it out, I ended up using way too much. So I needed an alternative.

A couple people have suggested trying shea butter and I decided that now is as good a time as any to try it out, but shea butter by itself is kind of oily. So after some googling I found a recipe for whipped shea butter.

I kind of mixed a few recipes that I found but mostly I used this blog post (http://www.rawmazing.com/homemade-body-butter-recipe)  and ended up using about 4 ounces unprocessed, unrefined shea butter (bought it off of amazon) about 2 ounces coconut oil and a quarter cup olive oil. I melted the shea butter to make sure I could get out any impurities (due to it being unrefined) then I chilled it again slightly and threw it in my kitchen aid mixer with the coconut oil and olive oil. I let it mix on medium for about 20 minutes. When it came out, I got lots of fluffy oily goodness. I put it in my old coconut oil jar. I didn't add any essential oils or flavors to it. I want to see if the basic recipe works before I start adding other stuff.

My plan is to use it as a body butter, replacing it with my many lotions that I typically use. I am gonna try it out for a month and I will be back to update you and let you know how well it works!
Live and Love

It kinda looks like putty, but feels like coolwhip.



No comments:

Post a Comment