Friday, June 21, 2013

A Christening Outfit for $1.50

I was intent on making James's christening outfit. I started out wanting to make him a gown and ended up making him a little suit. I went to the thrift store and found a nice white mens shirt for $1.50. I made his little pants out of the sleeves and used pieces from the front and back to make his top. The collar and button placket is from the original mens shirt.

To make the onsie top I used this tutorial from Sew Mama Sew. The tutorial made their own collar but I just shortened the original collar by cutting it in the middle of the back, sewing it together and sewing a fine zigzag over my seam to finish it off nicely.

Then to make the little knicker/bloomers I just folded a pair of his other pants in half down the crotch, cut out the fabric from each sleeve of the shirt, added leg cuffs, a waistband, and a few buttons. The button closure on the front of the pants is fake and the waistband has elastic in the back.

The tie was a gift from a neighbor. I was going to make him a little bow tie with suspenders but the little necktie was just too darn cute to not have him wear.

Not bad for a buck fifty, if I do say so myself.
Live and Love




1 comment:

  1. Absolutely adorable! Wish God blessed me with that drive and creativity!

    ReplyDelete