Thursday, August 4, 2011

I < 3 my Apple Pie

 So I had a frozen bag of apples in my freezer from my mother-in-law that had been taunting me since I moved in with my husband. Couldn't decide what to make with it until this evening when I remembered how much my husband LOVES apple pie. I was already making another batch of tortillas so I had the table all laid out to roll out the crust. *I dislike having to clean off and disinfect a portion of the table, which is the only space big enough JUST to roll out one crust* I took the recipe from the Better Homes and Gardens Cook Book and altered it slightly. 
Picture of unbaked pie.
Apple Pie Filling:
approx 6 cups sliced apples
1 TBSP lemon juice
2 tbsp sugar
2 tbsp flour
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg (btw, I pretty much NEVER measure out cinnamon and nutmeg, I just sprinkle it on until it looks about right)
Mix well and let sit a minute.

Crust:
1 1/4 cup flour
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 cup cooking oil
3-4 tbsp milk

Mix well start with 3 tbsp milk, should be crumbly, if its too crumbly add rest of milk, roll out onto slighly floured surface and beat the bajeebers out of it with a rollin' pin..... ok never mind, I have been reading too much of the  Dresden Files, but roll out the pie crust until its about 12 in. round, put it into the pie pan and take excess off edges. I used the excess to fill in the holes (I can never get it to lay in the pan pretty-like, so I end up with holes) and I made a heart for the man who has stolen mine

Fill with Pie filling, sprinkle top with sugar and cinnamon preheat oven to 375 degrees and bake the pie for about 30-40 minutes.

My husband and his pie.
I fixed it up and baked it in the oven with my husband reading his book, not 10 feet away. He didn't have a clue that I had made him a special treat, and when it was done I had him close his eyes and led him to the fresh pie. Of course the apple aroma gave it away when he got closer but it still surprised him. No particular occasion, except for the fact that I love him.

No comments:

Post a Comment