Monday, August 1, 2011

To-To-Tortillas

So my husband and I decided to make tortillas on Sunday and boy are they delicious. Here is my recipe, I used a different recipe and altered it so that I could double it, this one is my concoction and tasty.



Ingredients:
2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
1/4 cup wheat flour
1 tsp salt
1/4 block of Lard (yes, lard is disgusting to work with, but it makes the best tortillas)
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 cup hot water (as hot as the tap will go)

Mix the dry ingredients, cut the lard into chunks and put into dry ingredients, mash the lard into the dry ingredients with a pastry cutter (I used a fork and it worked just as well) until its all crumbly. Pour the hot water into it and stir it all together, take your hands and knead it until its well mixed and into one -not-so-sticky ball. (at least not as sticky as it was when you poured the water in) Cover it with a towel and let sit for an hour. Then make balls out of the dough and place on a cookie sheet or plate or something so they aren't quite touching. (doubling the recipe I got 40 silver half dollar sized balls out of the recipe) you can make the balls whatever size you want. The bigger the ball, the bigger your tortilla. Let sit another 20 min and turn on the griddle to 400. Flour a clean surface and the rolling pin and roll out tortillas as thin as you can (I didn't even bother making them circular) and place on the griddle giving each side half a minute or until you can see it start to brown. Then place on a plate and cover with a tea towel. Yum, Yum.

No comments:

Post a Comment