Sunday, January 1, 2012

Easy Peasy Croutons

If there is one thing that I love to eat, it is salads. You can do so much with them to give them different tastes and textures but some of my favorite toppings are homeade croutons.

No, these are not those croutons where you start chewing them and it sounds like fireworks in your head. These croutons have just a pleasant  crunch (unless you burn them, that is a whole other problem).
What you need:
-One loaf of store brought bread (or stale bread, or that homeade loaf that you can't do anything with because you messed it up and its all crumbly *guilty*) I used to get my bread at the day old bread store where I would get 2 loaves for a dollar and freeze it until I wanted croutons.
-1/3 cup olive oil mixed with herbs of your choice (I usually just smell the herbs and decide what I prefer that day) and garlic salt
-Cookie sheets

 First, I mix my olive oil, herbs, and garlic salt together to get the herbs to re-hydrate a little bit.
Then cube up your loaf of bread.

When you are ready, toss the bread with the olive oil mix, add the mix a little bit at a time so that it evenly covers the bread crumbs.
Spread out on a cookie sheet and stick in the oven for 10 minutes, pull out and stir a little bit with a spatula and put in for another 5 minutes. Then keep a close eye on the croutons and take out when they are done to your liking. I like them best at a little bit darker golden color. I don't have a picture of the finished croutons, but I can guarantee that they are deeelicous. I usually store them in a tupperware container on the counter. Hope you enjoy!
Live and Love

No comments:

Post a Comment